Thursday, October 18, 2007

1st Practice - Rough Start; Good Finish

The Eagles held there first practice this past Monday night, only to find the pool occupied by the Hicksville High School Girls' Varsity Swim Team. After some waiting, lots of patience and some "conversation" with the coach (thanks Mrs. Gharnit and Mrs. McGee), we finally got the kids into the water at about 7:15. After a slow start, things began to gel and I do believe the swimmers ended up with a good first practice. My thanks to all who volunteered on the pool deck as well as those who offered again to help in any way possible. Your assistance is appreciated, and needed, and will help make this program a huge success.

I have since spoken with Bethpage facilities (Tuesday morning) and have been assured that the error was not on our part. That being said, I have been trying to contact the Hicksville Coach to offer to share the pool next week as the girls prepare for their final meet and, hopefully, a chance at the District Championships. As a Hicksville Parish, this is our High School and our team, and I feel we owe them every opportunity to succeed. In addition, many of these girls were a part of our team in prior years and I am hoping they will join again and continue throughout High School.

Therefore, let's plan for a joint practice of all ages at 7:30pm. I will be there early (by 6:30) in case the pool is available, so you are free to come as well, or give me a call (516.395.0432) on my cell phone.

Also, please check this website again, as this will be my primary means of posting scheduling changes.

We have over 100 swimmers registered and are hoping for as few more, especially those at the U14 and U18 age groups. While 100 seems like a lot, it is actually a good thing, as it will give us an opportunity to ensure (or at least try) that all spots are filled throughout the meets.

Sometime in November, I will provide a handout of league rules as they relate to the dual meets as well as what to expect from the coaches and what we in turn expect from the swimmers.

I look forward as we continue with the season. Those who have supplied an e-mail address, be on the lookout for some communication from me soon.

Looking forward to seeing you all again on Monday.

Coach Carroll

No comments: