Thursday, October 25, 2007

Eagles Soar During 2nd Practice

With a combined 80 plus swimmers attending the two sessions this past Monday, the season is off to a great start. We now have over 100 swimmers registered and continue to recruit more, especially those over age 14.

My thanks to Mr. Morrisey, Mr. Hoeing, Mr & Mrs. Franolich and Mrs. Donlon for helping out on the pool deck (if I missed anyone, I do apologize). Also, my thanks to Mrs Wallitsch again for helping with registrations.

I spoke with a few parents after each session and I again welcome any and all volunteers to help with the practices. As we continue to move along and determine the level at which our swimmers are at, practices will become more structured. I have also received interest from some Holy Trinity swimmers who want to come down and volunteer coach. They would be great for our program!

I do have one request - I am looking for a "permanent" volunteer at each session to help with attendance, so I can ensure all registrants have been properly contacted. At this point, I believe about 12-15 registered swimmers have not yet made a practice, mainly due to other obligations. Many I have been in contact with, some I have not, so I want to contact them. So when your swimmers arrive, please have them sign in at the front table. This is also where they will get their lane assignments for the night.

The permit issues have been resolved (we were in the right), so all swimmers who are age 10 and under as of Dec 1, 2007 will swim at 6:30. All others will swim at 7:30 (and we will end closer to 9pm). If anyone prefers to have their younger swimmers swim the later session with a sibling due to scheduling, that is fine. You are also welcome to have them swim both sessions.

Turkey Challenge
On Monday November 19, we will hold our first "in-house" meet. This competition will be between ourselves (I'll divide up two teams and ask for volunteer coaches) and will give our swimmers the opportunity to get used to a dual meet, get used to competition and to earn some ribbons! All swimmers are eligible to swim but not required. This is all for fun and we want them to enjoy themselves. Ribbons will be given out for 1st through 6th place.

Team Swim Suits
In the next week or so, I will be getting together pricing for our team swim suits so that you may order them for the upcoming competitions. I will also get pricing on swim caps and goggles. I am hoping we can customize our suits and caps with the team name, but that will depend on costs.

Team Pictures
It has been a while since we have had a photographer in for team and individual pictures. Please let me know if there would be an interest and I will make arrangements - OR - if anyone is a capable photographer, maybe we can do this in house and keep costs down.

See you all on Monday.

If you ain't makin' waves, you ain't kickin' hard enough!


Coach Carroll (Kevin)

No comments: